Wednesday, June 15, 2011

RAW Comments (06/13/2011)

WWE Monday Night RAW was live from the Nassau Coliseum in Long Island, New York this week. Here are my RAW Comments.


I think the star of the night this week on RAW might have been The Miz. He got to interact with both “Stone Cold” Steve Austin and Rowdy Roddy Piper on the same night! The Miz didn’t even talk much during his segment with Austin but The Miz’s facial expressions while Austin talked were awesome. His segment with Piper was also great and Piper is still amazing on the mic. I’m impressed with The Miz. He’s no longer the WWE Champion, no longer a #1 contender for the WWE Championship, and yet The Miz continues to remain relevant in the WWE. It’s good to see that The Miz is still the kind of Superstar that doesn’t need a WWE championship title to play a big role in the WWE.  

Three matches for Capitol Punishment were announced on RAW. The three new matches are CM Punk vs. Rey Mysterio, Dolph Ziggler vs. Kofi Kingston, and Alberto Del Rio vs. the Big Show. I’m surprised to see Big Show come back so soon. The Del Rio-Big Show match won’t be a show-stealer but could be somewhat interesting if Del Rio can carry the Big Show (figuratively not literally). This is a good test for Del Rio. If he can make Big Show look good then Del Rio should have no problem making John Cena look good if those two face each other at Summerslam. As for Punk vs. Rey, those two have faced each other multiple times on Pay Per View, and they could possibly steal the show this Sunday. Finally we got Kofi Kingston vs. Dolph Ziggler for what seems like the 50th time. They probably won’t have the best match of the night at Capitol Punishment but they always seem to have a solid match when they face each other. By the way, I wouldn’t be shocked if Jack Swagger vs. Evan Bourne is a last minute addition to the PPV.

I enjoyed seeing CM Punk going face-to-face with Stone Cold. I read that some people in the Internet Wrestling Community think the WWE was teasing a possible match between the two. I don’t see that happening but I will say those two seemed to have great chemistry together. Maybe there might be a way for them to have a feud that doesn’t result in a PPV match because I don’t think Stone Cold will ever wrestle another match in the WWE. John Cena and CM Punk had an interesting feud in late 2010/early 2011 that never resulted in a one-on-one PPV match. By the way, CM Punk made an interesting comment to Stone Cold. Punk said, “You gave me a match with John Cena and I want to thank you because…you just set in the motion something that is gonna change the landscape of the WWE forever.” Maybe we will get to see next week on RAW what Punk was referring to. 

No Zack Ryder on RAW despite the fact that Ryder is billed from Long Island, New York. I was a little bit surprised at first but now I understand why Ryder wasn’t used. First of all, he’s really an irrelevant RAW Superstar. Maybe the IWC thinks he’s a big deal but I’m sure a huge majority of the RAW audience at home didn’t care that Ryder wasn’t on the show. Also, I don’t think the WWE wanted to see Ryder get a huge pop on live TV. The WWE obviously has no big plans for him and I wouldn’t be surprised if he was released before the end of the year. Ryder did get a pre-RAW match so it’s not the fans in Long Island didn’t get to see him.  Ryder has fans but not enough fans. Ryder’s appearances or lack of appearances are probably not affecting the RAW TV ratings much. 

After seeing R-Truth attack John Morrison backstage on RAW this week, it looks like the WWE will resume the R-Truth and Morrison feud when Morrison returns from his injury. My question is when will we see that match? Obviously there will be a match and most likely it will be a PPV match. I doubt they brought back Morrison for a backstage segment (probably pre-taped before RAW) just so he and R-Truth could have a RAW match when he returns. This probably will be a PPV feud but which PPV? The next two PPVs are Money in the Bank and Summerslam. I think Morrison might be ready in time for Money in the Bank but I’d be surprised if the WWE wasted an opportunity for Morrison to be in the RAW ladder match. If R-Truth and Morrison do face each other at Money in the Bank, that would mean there would be a new #1 contender for the WWE Championship which should be interesting. I think we will see R-Truth vs. John Morrison at Summerslam. I know Summerslam is supposed to be the second biggest PPV of the year but I honestly think that R-Truth vs. Morrison is a match worthy for Summerslam which is something I didn’t think I would be saying a few months ago. R-Truth has been a great heel lately and his feud with Morrison has been going on for at least two months now so I think that would actually be an interesting Summerslam match. 

CM Punk and John Cena had a solid match on RAW. It wasn’t a classic match but considering it was a RAW match and John Cena was one of the participants, that match was as good as I could have hoped. The crowd was the best part of the match. Dueling chants during a Cena match is nothing new but the Long Island crowd was chanting “Let’s Go Cena”/”CM Punk” for almost the whole match. I still think they were chanting “Cena Sucks” and not “CM Punk” but everyone has been saying that they were chanting “CM Punk” so I believe them. I can’t wait to see how Punk is used after Capitol Punishment. Will we see a CM Punk vs. John Cena match at Money in the Bank in Chicago? If we do, Chicago is Punk’s hometown so the crowd reaction for that match would probably be even bigger than it was in Long Island.  I have a feeling that we will NOT see that match especially if the rumors of Punk taking a break from the company are true. I don’t think Vince McMahon would like seeing CM Punk getting more cheers than John Cena. It will be interesting to see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment