Friday, June 14, 2013

WWE Payback: Ranking the 8 matches on the PPV

The WWE Payback Pay-Per-View has 8 matches right now (I don't expect any surprise matches) and I'm going to rank them here. They will be ranked in the order of how much I think I will enjoy the match and not how good I expect the match to be. This ranking is based of my opinion and I don't expect everyone to agree with my ranking. This is not a predictions/preview column. I will post that on Sunday most likely.

8. Curtis Axel vs. Wade Barrett vs. The Miz

I don't have much interest in this match, but I will admit it's not a terrible match-up. Payback has a solid match card and this proves it. These three guys aren't main event guys, but they aren't jobbers either. I just don't know who is going to carry this match. All of these guys are capable of a good match, but I think they need to be paired with a good worker like Bryan, Punk, Jericho, Orton, Christian or Ziggler. They could have a decent match, but I'm not expecting any of these guys to steal the show. I think if WWE added Christian to the match instead of Axel, this could have been a really good match. 

7. Dean Ambrose vs. Kane

I like Dean Ambrose and when I attend Payback this Sunday, it will be the first time I have seen him wrestle at a WWE Live Event. I don't like this match-up for him. I don't think it's going to be a great match and I think this match was booked just so Kane and Ambrose could be on the card. Ambrose is the only reason why I'm a little bit interested in this match.

6. Damien Sandow vs. Sheamus

This could be the sleeper match of the night. I remember that Sandow and Sheamus had a match on RAW last year that got good reviews. The problem with this match is that they might not get enough time. I doubt they get 15 minutes and I think this is one of those match-ups that needs enough time for the match to be good. 5-7 minutes will not be enough. 

5. AJ Lee vs. Kaitlyn

Usually, I would put the Divas match at one of my least favorite matches on the PPV. Not this time. I like the AJ-Kaitlyn feud which is not a big surprise because it has been building for a year. This is a great time to finally have the PPV match and what a great place to host the match. The Chicago crowd will give AJ and Kaitlyn the respect they deserve. It should be an awesome match if they get more than 5 minutes.

4. Daniel Bryan and Randy Orton vs. The Shield

If Daniel Bryan vs. Randy Orton was booked for Payback, I would put that match at #1. I don't want to make an early prediction, but I have to in order to explain why this match is #4 and not #1. I don't see The Shield losing their tag team titles to Bryan and Orton. That means Daniel Bryan is not going to win and I don't want him to lose because I like Bryan. It should be a good match, but I'm worried about how this match will end and I worried that Daniel Bryan might look like the weak link. And I don't want to see a predictable ending which would be Orton or Bryan accidentally making the team lose. Or they don't work well as a team and that's why they lose. If they are going to lose, I would love to see a clean finish. Matches are usually better when they have a clean finish. I'm worried the finish to this match won't be clean and that's why I don't have it in my top 3.

3. John Cena vs. Ryback

I have been reading about what people think about this match and it's getting a lot of hate. Not from me. I'm not expecting the greatest match ever, but I think this will be a very enjoyable match. The Lumberjack stage of the 3 Stages of Hell match may not be enjoyable, but I'm excited about the Tables stage and the Ambulance stage. I love gimmick matches, especially ones with tables and no holds barred. I think this match will be better than expected.

2. Dolph Ziggler vs. Alberto Del Rio

Ziggler is one of those guys who can always steal the show and the good news is that Del Rio is a good opponent for Ziggler. These guys are going to have a great match I think. Ziggler hasn't had a classic match in Chicago yet and I think Payback is the night he does it. Not only could this be match of the night, it's a possible match of the year contender.

1.  CM Punk vs. Chris Jericho

I wasn't expecting to put this match at #1. I saw this match-up at the last Chicago PPV and I have seen so many great matches from Punk and Jericho that I wouldn't be disappointed if I never saw them wrestle again. The reason this match is #1 is because it's the match I can guarantee will be enjoyable. The other matches could be great, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were disappointing. This match I expect to be great and I would be very surprised if the match wasn't entertaining. This won't be the main event, but it's definitely worthy of being a main event match on PPV and I think this is the match many people want to see more than any other match on the card. I can't guarantee this will be match of the night, but if I had to pick the match that steals the show, I would pick this match. Punk and Jericho are two of the greatest wrestlers in WWE history and this should be an awesome wrestling match. Match of the year contender for sure.

I will try to post my official Payback preview on Sunday.

8 comments:

  1. Really, any of the top four could be the best. Looks like a good PPV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...my only worry is that one or two of them won't get enough time.

      Delete
    2. I kinda wish WWE would say somebody got jumped backstage and make up the match the next night on RAW.

      Delete
    3. You could...on RAW. Plus, if they had a timing issue, that would be a good way to deal with that.

      Delete
    4. But I'm not going to be at RAW.

      Delete
    5. Oh, yeah. You're going! Have fun!

      Again...I hate you.

      Delete
  2. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. wrestlemania 34 predictions

    ReplyDelete