Sunday, April 22, 2012

How I Would Book It: The Match Stipulation for Cody Rhodes vs. Big Show


It is not official yet, but it looks like there will be a Cody Rhodes vs. Big Show match at the WWE Extreme Rules Pay Per View on April 29th. I am not really excited about the match. I like Big Show, but he is not one of my favorite in-ring performers. As for Cody, I think he's a good worker but I also think he's overrated. The good thing about Extreme Rules is that every match has a special match stipulation. So despite a bad match-up and a mediocre storyline, they can still have a decent match if they have the right stipulation. What is the right stipulation for this match? I will look at three possible options.


1. Ladder Match

This match would definitely benefit Cody Rhodes. Although the ladder would be a great weapon for Big Show to use, will he be able to climb the ladder without falling down or breaking it? It seems odd to have someone like Big Show in a ladder match, but I would be interested in seeing how Big Show is going to retain his United States Championship. Can Big Show climb the ladder? If Cody is climbing the ladder, will Big Show be quick enough to stop him from grabbing the title? I think a ladder stipulation would make this match unpredictable and maybe exciting too. I would love to see Big Show swing the ladder like a baseball bat.


2. Cage Match

A cage match would be cool. You might think a cage match would benefit Big Show, but I would like it to be a cage match in which the only way to win is by climbing over the top of the cage. The match would be too predictable if they allowed pin-falls and allowed the superstars to escape the cage through the door. I would love to see if Big Show is able to climb out of the cage. Assuming he is able to climb out of the cage, how fast can he climb? I would think that Cody would be a faster climber than Big Show would be. This could be another unpredictable match.


3. Strap Match

I would love to see a strap match. A strap match is when a strap is attached to one of the arms of both superstars in the match. That means that neither superstar can run away from their opponent. A strap match would definitely benefit Big Show. On Smackdown last Friday, Cody Rhodes ran away from Big Show after Cody caused him to lose his match against Alberto Del Rio. In a strap match, Cody can't run away from Big Show. I would like to see it be a traditional strap match which means that you must touch all four corners in order without stopping to win the match. That would be easy for Big Show, but hard for Cody because it would be hard for Cody to drag Big Show to each corner.

Out of the three options, I think I would want to see a strap match. I would enjoy seeing Cody trying to touch all four corners while dragging a 500 pound man. The match would probably be a quick and easy win for Big Show and I'm fine with that. The less time this match gets, the better it will be in my opinion. I don't think many people are going to buy the Extreme Rules PPV only because of the Cody Rhodes vs. Big Show match. This match probably won't be great, but it might be enjoyable if it is a strap match.

6 comments: