Thursday, March 1, 2012

VIDEO: The Rock Doesn't Like SuperCena

Last week, I was watching my recently purchased The Rock: Just Bring It DVD and The Rock said something during the DVD that sounded like it was directed at John Cena which is weird because the DVD was released in 2002.



If you are unable to watch the video or can't listen to it, The Rock said,
"I remember watching Superman. I could only watch Superman for so long when I was little before I was just begging for somebody to come along and punch him right in the mouth. And let me see Superman in some sort of jeopardy and let me see that he has weaknesses just like I do. If I go out there every single night and just beat people up and lay the smackdown without showing any jeopardy, as a fan, as a human being, I can't relate to that. I simply can't."
Although John Cena doesn't squash all of his opponents, Cena does have a history of not selling injuries, winning too many matches that he shouldn't win, and not losing cleanly. The Rock has had many classic matches that he did not win. Many of those losses were clean losses too. I can't say that about Cena. Most of his famous matches are victories. Cena does have a few classic matches that he lost (Cena vs. Punk Money in the Bank, Cena vs. Edge Backlash 09), but I can't recall a recent classic match in which he lost cleanly with no controversy. Cena definitely has a Superman gimmick. It's not as strong as it was a few years ago, but SuperCena still makes an occasional appearance. It's interesting that The Rock made those comments four years before people really started hating John Cena's gimmick. I'm amazed it took me so long to discover this quote from The Rock. I found two other videos on Youtube, one from two weeks ago and the other from April 2009, that had the same 32 second clip from The Rock's DVD. It would be cool if The Rock could mention something like that in the next few weeks before his WrestleMania match against John Cena because his quote in the video is another reason why The Rock doesn't like John Cena.

3 comments:

  1. When Superman is saving your ass from a burning building, I doubt that many people are going to ask him to show more vulnerability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Rock is right though. You can never root for the heels during superhero shows because the heels ALWAYS lose. No matter how strong they are booked in the beginning or how unbeatable they look, the babyface always finds a way to defeat the bad guy. At least in the WWE the good guys loses sometimes!

    I got tired of watching Power Rangers eventually because I started rooting for the heels Rita (she was a lot like Vickie Guerrero) and Lord Zedd but their plans for world domination were always foiled by those Power Rangers. It was cool at first but then the storylines got too predictable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just find that the prospect of good going over evil should trump the style in which it is done. It just sounds shallow to me. Speaking of shallow, I loved Rita due to the pointy boobs. :-)

    ReplyDelete