Saturday, March 3, 2012

Almost Random Wrestling Match Review (March 3, 2012)

Welcome to my ALMOST Random Wrestling Match Review. How is this match review almost randomly selected? I get to pick the match I want to review, but I can only choose from a short list of randomly selected matches. What I did was randomly select a number between 0 and 4 and randomly pick a number between 0 and 9. I have 454 wrestling matches on DVD so the first number means the match has to start with that number and the second number means that match has to end with that number. The numbers I picked were 0 and 5. That means my options were matches from 1 to 100 that ended with the number 5. I looked at the list and I picked match number 45. When doing Almost Random Wrestling Match Reviews, my goal is to pick a match that I like but is not very well-known. The match I will review is...

Cactus Jack & Maxx Payne vs. The Nasty Boys (Brian Knobbs and Jerry Sags) [WCW World Tag Team Championship] (WCW Spring Stampede - April 17, 1994)

I am a big fan of Cactus Jack (aka Mick Foley) and if you didn't see Mick Foley's most recent WWE DVD, you might not have seen this match yet. I don't know anything about Maxx Payne except for the fact he has the same name as the famous third-person shooter video game that was made into a movie starring Mark Wahlberg. I like that The Nasty Boys are in this match. They are a tag team that I wish I could have watched when they were active wrestlers.

The Facts:
  • This match was at the first ever WCW Spring Stampede Pay-Per-View. There would be four more Spring Stampede PPVs after this event. 
  • This match happened at the Rosemont Horizon (now known as the Allstate Arena) in Chicago, Illinois. The attendance was 12,200.
  • This match was a Chicago Street Fight.
  • Maxx Payne competed in the World Wrestling Federation in 1995 and his name was Man Mountain Rock. 
  • This match had a 8:54 time length.
  • Tony Schiavone and Bobby "The Brain" Heenan were the announcers for this match.
  • This match can be seen on the Mick Foley's Greatest Hits & Misses DVD.

The Match:


This match is a tornado tag team match which means no one has to tag in. This match is also falls count anywhere and the match starts before Cactus Jack and Maxx Payne could get to the ring. Knobbs is attacking Cactus near the entrance ramp with a kendo stick. Sags and Payne are fighting near the announcer table. Cactus and Knobbs enter the ring. Knobbs jumps off the top turnbuckle and tries to knock Cactus down with his kendo stick but Cactus punches Sags in the gut. Cactus picks up Knobbs's stick and attacks Knobbs with it. Schiavone says the stick looked like part of a pool cue so I guess that isn't a kendo stick. Cactus clotheslines Knobbs out of the ring. All four men are outside the ring now. Sags hits Payne with a chair and then starts attacking Cactus. The camera focuses on Payne and Knobbs for a second and when the camera goes back to Sags and Cactus, Sags is now on the ground. What happened? Cactus picks up a chair and hits Sags on the back. There is so much action in this match...it's hard to cover everything. Knobbs and Cactus are on the ramp and Knobbs clotheslines Cactus into the ring. Sags enters the ring and attacks Cactus with the pool stick. Payne and Knobbs are fighting by the entrance ramp. Back in the ring, Sags uses the pool stick to clothesline Cactus out of the ring. Knobbs and Payne are fighting by the souvenir table now. It feels like there are two matches going on at the same time.


Knobbs picks up an empty garbage can and slams it on Payne and then flips the table onto Payne. The WCW production team puts two camera angles on the same screen. One camera angle of Payne and Knobbs and the other camera angle shows Cactus and Sags. Smart idea by WCW because there is too much action going on right now. It's hard to capture everything with one camera angle. While Payne is still recovering from his injuries, Cactus is now biting Sags. Knobbs picks up the garbage can again and slams it onto Payne. Cactus gets a chair and whacks Sags on the head! Payne is up now and body slams Knobbs onto the souvenir table! Payne grabs a t-shirt and tries to stuff it down Knobbs's throat. Finally, Cactus and Sags fight their way towards the same area that Payne and Knobbs are in. Sags whips Cactus into the guardrail. Sags picks up a table and repeatedly hits Cactus with it! Ouch!! Sags takes the table and places it on the top of the entrance ramp. The camera cuts away from Sags and when it cuts back, Cactus is rolling Sags onto the entrance ramp and starts attacking him. What happened? Cactus was beaten repeatedly with a table and now he's back in control? What? Cactus picks up the table and suplexes it onto Sags!! WOW!! Knobbs goes to the entrance ramp and whacks Cactus on the head with a shovel!! HOLY SHIT!!! I was so focused on Cactus and Sags that I didn't even notice on the split screen that Knobbs picked up a shovel. Why is there a shovel in the arena? Payne takes the shovel from Knobbs and starts hitting Knobbs with it. Cactus and Sags are on the table and the table collapses! Sags then pushes Cactus off the entrance ramp! OUCH! Knobbs throws the shovel by Cactus. Sags goes down to the floor where Cactus is, picks up the shovel, and hits Cactus with it! Heenan says, "If the Cubs could hit like that, they'd be in first place." Hey! That's not nice! Sags covers Cactus and gets the three-count.

Winners: The Nasty Boys

Rating: ****

That was a very good brawl. I love a good street fight and this match was fun to watch. The first half of the match wasn't very impressive, but the last few minutes of the match were great. The participants in this match did a great job despite getting less than nine minutes to work with. There weren't many amazing spots or unique spots, but it was a very entertaining match. I wasn't bored during this match and any match that can keep me interested from start to finish deserves to get high praise. This match must have been very fun to watch in-person. If I was born 15 years earlier, I might have been in the Rosemont Horizon during this match. I enjoyed this match a lot and it is probably my favorite Mick Foley WCW match.

5 comments:

  1. Maxx Payne!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, he was Man Mountain Rock in the WWE. Not sure if you remember him either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea who he was. A little bit before my time. I was like 7 years old in 1995 and not yet a wrestling fan. I think I was watching Batman and Power Rangers at that age.

      Delete
  3. I was into Batman. Great Show! And I was just young enough to be into Power Rangers for a couple years. I was 12-13 and we would watch what we could in middle school before the teacher came in.

    ReplyDelete