Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Keg Stand: CM Punk is Now Officially My Favorite WWE Superstar


For most of 2011, CM Punk has been my favorite WWE Superstar. I have always been a CM Punk fan because he's from Chicago like me. Punk was very entertaining in the beginning of this year and his epic feud with John Cena leading up to Money in the Bank definitely made CM Punk my undisputed favorite WWE Superstar. However, just saying that CM Punk is my favorite Superstar is not enough. I don't own anything with CM Punk's name on it. When you have a favorite sports player, the best way to make it official is by getting his jersey. So to make it official that CM Punk is my favorite WWE Superstar, I purchased something today on WWEShop.com that I have not owned since the Attitude Era. I purchased a WWE T-Shirt.


I finally did it. I purchased a WWE T-Shirt. I purchased the CM Punk "Best in the World" T-Shirt. I won't receive it until December but when I do, it will be the first WWE T-shirt I have owned since the WWE was known as the WWF. Back then, I owned three WWF T-Shirts I think. I owned one Stone Cold T-Shirt and I owned either one or two The Rock T-Shirts. I would show you photos of those shirts but I don't have them anymore. I must have thrown them out along with my WWF Magazine issue with Mr. Ass Billy Gunn on the cover during that time in my life when I stopped watching wrestling. I wish I would have kept them because owning two or three pre-WWE shirts today would have be cool collector items. I tried looking for photos of them on the internet but I couldn't find them. The reason for that is probably because these weren't the authentic WWF T-Shirts you saw on RAW IS WAR. I didn't own a Stone Cold 100% Pure Rattlesnake T-Shirt or a The Rock Just Bring It T-Shirt. I had the basic WWF T-Shirts that you could find at Kmart or Target. For example, let's pretend I grew up in today's WWE PG Era and The Miz was my favorite Superstar.  Let's pretend I purchased one of The Miz's shirts.

Here is The Miz's OFFICIAL shirt:


That wouldn't be the shirt I owned. This would be my Miz shirt:

That's not a bad shirt, but it's not the real Miz shirt. The shirts I owned were the shirts Stone Cold and The Rock wouldn't be seen on TV wearing. However, they were still WWF shirts and I was showing my support for The Rock and Stone Cold. Once my CM Punk T-Shirt arrives at my home, CM Punk will become only third WWE Superstar to have a T-Shirt that I owned. This would make CM Punk the fourth man on my imaginary Mount Rushmore. He would join The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin, and Mick Foley. I have never owned a Mick Foley T-Shirt but I own his WWE DVD, I own two of his books (Have a Nice Day and Countdown to Lockdown), I own the February 2000 RAW Magazine with his face on the cover,  he is the only wrestler I have taken a photo with, and he is the only wrestler I have met two times. That should be enough to make up for the fact I never owned a Mick Foley T-Shirt. 

It is somewhat ironic that I am one of the last WWE fans to buy CM Punk's new shirt because I had a chance to be one of less than 700 WWE fans to own his shirt on July 17. I was at the WWE Money in the Bank Pay-Per-View on that day and less than 700 CM Punk T-Shirts with "Best in the World" and "Chicago*7x17x11" written on the back were sold inside the Allstate Arena. All of the shirts were sold out long before CM Punk's main event match against John Cena. By the time I found out about them, they were already gone. I most likely wouldn't have bought them even if I had a chance but I was in the building when they were being sold. I have been thinking of buying a WWE T-Shirt for awhile. I was waiting for the right moment and I finally decided to purchase CM Punk's shirt. CM Punk has been very popular lately and I am proud to contribute to his very successful T-Shirt sales. I am hoping his shirt can become the most popular WWE shirt of the 21st Century. WWEShop.com is having a Survivor Series sale right now so I was able to purchase the shirt for a much cheaper price than what it was at Money in the Bank. I believe that the CM Punk shirts at Money in the Bank were being sold for $30 which I think is too much for a shirt although it ended up being a great bargain price when many of those shirts were being sold on eBay for hundreds of dollars.   

I will be attending my 7th WWE Live Event on December 26 when RAW returns to Chicago which I consider to be an amazing feat because I didn't attend any WWE Live Events until May 2009. Assuming I receive my T-Shirt prior to that event, it would be the first time I wore a WWE T-Shirt at a WWE Live Event. CM Punk will be making his first WWE appearance in Chicago since Money in the Bank and I will look forward to wearing his shirt.

16 comments:

  1. Please! We all know your favorite is Hornswoggle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony, the first step is to admit it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been going to live events since 2001 and have only been to 1 PPV(Armageddon 2003), 3 televised events(Smackdown June/21/01, Raw Nov/19/07, and the Raw with K-fed), and 3 house shows. I most likely will be at 'Mania next year, and that will be my first time going since 2007.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been to one WCW house show in the early 90's, one WWE house show in the mid 90's, a SD taping in 2003, and a RAW in 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, shows in the 90's. I remember in the early 90's seeing people bring their "Wrestling Buddies" to the shows instead of signs. It's a strange thing seeing grown men holding up a stuffed likeness of Macho Man, Hogan,Warrior or Jake The Snake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was back before they became jaded due to the internet. They would actually cheer for the faces! Imagine that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe the government censoring the internet would make it hard for the dirt sheets to propagate as much and we can go back to the age of innocence in wrestling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm still shocked we haven't seen more people run into the ring and try to attack Cena. It's happened before, but luckily, nobody has been able to touch him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think that many of the people who are idiotic enough to try and attack wrestlers can afford ringside seats. Most people are just too smart to do something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good point Chadam. I'm not sure if they serve alcohol at WWE events, but if they do, anything can happen even if your're smart if alcohol is in you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Ray

    They serve alcohol at WWE Events. They even have beer vendor men who walk up and down the aisles with beer.

    @Capt. Smooth

    Which RAW were you at in 2009? Who was the guest host?

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Chadam: I'm not sure the fans are that smart. Look at a typical comment section during a Cena scene.

    @ Tony: It was in May of 09. I'm not sure who or if there was a Guest Host. Santina was going on, Sheamus was having dark matches, and Miz was going after Cena and dressing like him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It must have been May 18, 2009 in Louisville. That was one day after Judgment Day 2009 (my first ever live event). I looked at the results...that was the night when The Miz pretended to be Cena and he cut a rap on Cena. And then Miz went 5-0. Also it looks like you saw Jericho vs. Punk before the RAW taping...wow!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was it! And I did see Jericho vs. Punk. It' was probably the first time I noticed Orton's "Voices" being a really good song.

    ReplyDelete