Monday, September 26, 2016

Summer of Wrestling 2016 #6 – IWA-Mid South

It's been a long time, but I'm back. The plan is still to finish this. I have no idea how long it will take me. This post is for an indie promotion called IWA Mid-South. I went to a garage sale recently and I got 2 IWA-MS DVDs. I picked 4 matches from each show and those are the matches I selected for this week.

The Rules:

1. I will review at least 5 matches per week for 14 weeks.
2. Every wrestling promotion is eligible for the Summer of Wrestling.
3. Every match I review must be a match I have never seen in its entirety before. If I can’t remember what happened in the match, it is eligible. Matches I’ve seen several times or know very well are not eligible for the Summer of Wrestling.
4. Not every match I watch this summer will be reviewed during the Summer of Wrestling. Matches from any upcoming wrestling show or Pay-Per-View are eligible if I watch them. The matches I review will be picked before I watch them.

The Matches:

1. Chris Hero vs. Ace Steele (IWA-MS Spirit of '76 - 05/24/03) **1/2
2. CM Punk vs. Chris Hamrick (IWA-MS Spirit of '76 - 05/24/03) ****
3. Bull Pain vs. Mitch Page vs. Corporal Robinson (IWA-MS Spirit of '76 - 05/24/03) ***1/2
4. Bad Boy Hido and Mad Man Pondo vs. Ian and Axel Rotten (IWA-MS Spirit of '76 - 05/24/03) ***1/2
5. "American Dragon" Bryan Danielson vs Jigsaw (IWA-MS Christmas Carnage 12/16/05) ***1/4
6. New Jack vs Jimmy Jacobs (IWA-MS Christmas Carnage 12/16/05) ***
7. Ian Rotten, Matt Sydal & Delirious vs Eddie Kingston, Josh Abercrombie & Brandon Thomaselli (IWA-MS Christmas Carnage 12/16/05) ***
8. No Rope Barbed Wire Match: Necro Butcher and Toby Klein vs. Deranged and Brain Damage (IWA-MS Christmas Carnage 12/16/05) ****1/4

I don't feel like writing about each match. Why waste words on a match I didn't like and don't want to see again so I'll just mention the matches I enjoyed. I'll start with Bryan Danielson vs. Jigsaw (***1/4). Daniel Bryan has a good match virtually all the time and this match was no different. I enjoyed Eddie Kingston on commentary and that made me like this match more. Spirt of '76 had 2 Fans Bring the Weapons matches: Bull Pain vs. Mitch Page vs. Corporal Robinson (***1/2) and Bad Boy Hido and Mad Man Pondo vs. Ian and Axel Rotten (***1/2). Both were entertaining hardcore matches. If I had to pick one I liked more, I think I would go with the triple threat match because it had more spots that I reacted to and I liked the effort from everyone in the match. CM Punk vs. Chris Hamrick (****) was an excellent match. I wouldn't say it's something you MUST SEE, but the story they used was amazing and they executed it perfectly. I never heard of Hamrick, but he was a very good worker. My favorite match this week was Necro Butcher and Toby Klein vs. Deranged and Brain Damage (****1/4). They did a death match style and it was amazing. I'm surprised how many times I really enjoy a match with Necro Butcher in it. This match had a lot of blood and more than enough "Holy Shit" moments.

Top 5 Matches of the Week:

1. No Rope Barbed Wire Match: Necro Butcher and Toby Klein vs. Deranged and Brain Damage (IWA-MS Christmas Carnage 12/16/05) ****1/4
2. CM Punk vs. Chris Hamrick (IWA-MS Spirit of '76 - 05/24/03) ****
3. Bull Pain vs. Mitch Page vs.  Corporal Robinson (IWA-MS Spirit of '76 - 05/24/03) ***1/2
4. BADBOY Hido and Mad Man Pondo vs. Ian and Axel Rotten (IWA-MS Spirit of '76 - 05/24/03) ***1/2
5. "American Dragon" Bryan Danielson vs Jigsaw (IWA-MS Christmas Carnage 12/16/05) ***1/4

Top 5 Matches of the Summer:

1. Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Tag Team Championship Three-Way Guerrilla Warfare Match - El Generico and Paul London vs. Brandon and Dustin Cutler vs. The Young Bucks (PWG Seven 07/30/10) *****
2. Will Ospreay vs Marty Scurll (RPW High Stakes 01/16/16) ****3/4
3. No Rope Barbed Wire Match: Necro Butcher and Toby Klein vs. Deranged and Brain Damage (IWA-MS Christmas Carnage 12/16/05) ****1/4
4. Kyle O’Reilly vs. Zack Sabre Jr. (PWG Battle of Los Angeles Night Three 08/31/14) ****1/4
5. Chris Hero vs. Trevor Lee (AAW Epic 04/09/16) ****1/4

No comments:

Post a Comment