Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Keg Stand: Can Kevin Nash and Triple H have a good match at TLC


Welcome to another edition of The Keg Stand. I am posting this Keg Stand a few days early because I had an opportunity to get it finished today and this will give me more time to work on my other columns this weekend. I was surprised to find out that this is my 10th Keg Stand. I'm glad that the WWE continues to give me something worth discussing each week. This week, I decided to use my original format which was discussing five current topics in the WWE. One of those topics is the upcoming match between Triple H and Kevin Nash.


Can Kevin Nash and Triple H have a good match at TLC?

The WWE TLC: Tables Ladders & Chairs Pay Per View is this Sunday. One of the matches is Kevin Nash vs. Triple H in a Sledgehammer Ladder Match. In this match, a sledgehammer will be hanging over the ring which will become a legal weapon once someone is able to grab it after climbing a ladder. This is an interesting feud but I'm more interested in finding out if Kevin Nash and Triple H are capable of having an entertaining match. Despite being 42 years old, Triple H is still a great in-ring performer. However, Kevin Nash is 52 years old. How will Kevin Nash perform in an extreme rules match? The good news is that Nash's last PPV match in the WWE was an Elimination Chamber match at SummerSlam. The bad news is that the match happened in 2003. The last time Kevin Nash faced Triple H in a match was during Bad Blood 2003 in a Hell in a Cell match. I watched that match recently and I was very impressed with what I saw. Assuming my math is correct, Kevin Nash was 43 years old at the time of that match. The match happened in June and Nash's birthday in July so Nash was almost 44 years old. The match was really good despite the fact that Nash was past his prime. There was not a lot of technical wrestling in that match. A lot of weapons were used in the match including a sledgehammer, a barbed-wire 2 X 4, and a screwdriver. Mick Foley was the referee of this match and all three men bled during the match. I enjoyed the match and I thought it was entertaining. If those two could have a decent match without a lot of wrestling in 2003, then I think they could do it again in 2011. I expect the 2011 match to be worse than the 2003 match because Foley won't be the referee and it is unlikely that there will be any blood but I think this match could be decent. Triple H and Kevin Nash will have to be creative with their available weapons and will have to try to make the match as violent as possible. If they decide to do a lot of wrestling, I expect this match to be bad. This can not be a wrestling match. It has to be a fight if the WWE thinks this match is worthy of being on PPV.


Jim Ross raps on RAW

Many people thought the opening segment of RAW this week with Jim Ross and Michael Cole was awful. I don't think it was a great segment but I found it entertaining. Every WWE fan should know by now that the WWE does goofy stuff on RAW. If you don't like it then stop watching RAW. I like watching Jim Ross. I enjoyed watching Jim Ross on RAW this week and although other people thought it was bad, I would rather watch that than NCIS. I will watch anything that Jim Ross does including a rap battle against Michael Cole. I thought JR's rap was hilarious. He forgot his rap and because of that, his rap sounded terrible but I think that the botch made the segment look better. JR is not a rapper so I didn't expect his rap to be great. The fans declared JR the winner of the rap battle which shows that the fans have a lot of love for JR and a lot of hate for Michael Cole. I liked how JR had the worst rap of all-time and it was still more entertaining than Michael Cole's rap. I love everything JR does and I hate almost everything Michael Cole does. In my opinion, Cole is the best heel in the WWE because I dislike him a lot. 

Below is the video of JR's rap. If the video is not working, click HERE. Jim Ross wrote on Twitter that he meant to say, "Michael Cole, you're damn fool. The King beat you like a Government Mule. I should be calling RAW because you're not in my class. You kissed King's feet, now you can kiss my ass!"



The Road Dogg Jesse James appears on RAW

It was great to see the Road Dogg on RAW. At one time during the Attitude Era, the Road Dogg was my favorite WWF wrestler. I'm not sure how long that lasted because The Rock was my favorite in early 2000 and Triple H was my favorite sometime around 2001 I think. My guess is that Road Dogg was my favorite wrestler in the middle of 2000. I have had many favorite wrestlers. In 2008, my favorite wrestler was Triple H because he was the only Attitude Era legend left in the WWE. In 2009, my favorite wrestler was Randy Orton. For most of 2010, my favorite wrestler was The Miz. Right now, my favorite wrestler is CM Punk and I think he will be my favorite for a long time because his name is on the only WWE shirt I currently own and his "pipe bomb" quote inspired my new blog name that will debut in 2012. Also, CM Punk is from Chicago just like me unlike my other favorite wrestlers.

Some of the reasons I liked Road Dogg was because I liked the New Age Outlaws (my favorite tag team of all-time) and I liked the Attitude Era DX that included Triple H, Road Dogg, X-Pac, Chyna, and Billy Gunn. I also liked when Road Dogg would say this:
"Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, children of all ages...D-Generation X proudly brings to you, the WWF...TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS OF THE WOOOOORLD! The Road Dogg, Jessie James! The Badd Ass, Billy Gunn! The NEW...AGE...OUTLAWS!"
It's too bad R-Truth is suspended. In 2000, his name was K-Kwik and he was Road Dogg's tag team partner. I wonder if the WWE would have mentioned that if R-Truth was on RAW this week.

Below are some great moments featuring the Road Dogg to help you understand why I liked him so much.










CM Punk wins two Slammys

I was so happy to see CM Punk win two Slammys at the Slammy Awards on RAW. He won Pipe Bomb of the Year (not a surprise because CM Punk was the first to say "pipe bomb" in the WWE) and Superstar of the Year. Around this time last year, CM Punk had a hip injury that he suffered in late October 2010. Punk's WWE career was not going well at the time. He lost to Big Show in five minutes at Night of Champions in September. While Punk was hurt, he was a RAW announcer and I thought it wouldn't be long before he became a full-time announcer. Punk hadn't been in a main event feud since 2009 so I thought his career had already peaked. When Punk was healthy, he started feuding with John Cena after becoming the leader of the New Nexus. After that, he had a WrestleMania feud with Randy Orton and then won the WWE Championship in July. Punk's career has changed a lot in one year and I think Punk deserved to be Superstar of the Year.


Kane returns to the WWE

The Road Dogg wasn't the only Attitude Era legend to make a surprise appearance on RAW. Kane returned to the WWE on RAW during the Mark Henry-John Cena match. I was completely surprised to find out that Kane appeared at the end of RAW. I have been so disappointed with RAW's main events lately that I stopped watching RAW right before the main event. I always record RAW on DVR so when RAW was over, I tried watching the Mark Henry vs. John Cena match. RAW had just ended so I hit the rewind button on my remote control and while RAW was rewinding, I saw Kane in the ring. I would have loved to be surprised and see Kane return on live TV but I think it's cool that Kane is back and that he's wearing his mask again. That was a great ending to RAW and now I know that I need to watch all of RAW next time. It's good to see that RAW is still capable of having a surprise ending. I hope they can do it again next week.

Next week, RAW is in Philadelphia and after that, RAW is in Chicago. After RAW next week, this Tuesday will be the start of Chicago Week on my blog. I will be attending the December 26 RAW in Chicago and so there will be several Chicago-related posts next week. In the middle of the week, I will post a vintage column about John Cena in Chicago. My next Keg Stand will feature the Top 10 WWE moments that happened in Chicago. I'm looking forward to Chicago Week and my goal is to get you excited about the December 26 RAW because I think it will be a great show.

9 comments:

  1. 1. They can have a good match. I don't know if they will. I don't want the fans to start a "BORING!!!" chant 30 seconds into it and not even give it a chance.

    2. The "rap". Yuck, but I did get a twisted kick out of J.R. trying to do the Spinarooni.

    3. Jazzed about Road Dogg. He belongs on tv more often.

    4. That video package about John L. was just terrific. That might've been the best "funny" bit the WWE has done sinse Shatner did the themes songs for wrestlers.

    5. Kane shocked me. I thought he would come back in a month or so. Hope his career goes out with a bang.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Baltimore doing "Boring" chants? I don't think Baltimore is one of the Smarky crowds. My fear is that it won't be as violent as it should be. Their age won't stop them from having a fun match...the PG rating will. Maybe they will do a swerve and Triple H will turn heel. I'm still waiting for Triple H's heel turn. It's still coming...any day now...

    2. JR's spinaronni was funny too. I think anything with JR is great.

    3. I wish they can now bring X-Pac back to TV and try to do a DX reunion. Road Dogg was wearing a DX shirt...foreshadowing?

    4. Shatner was the best! He should have won Best Guest Host at last year's Slammy's.

    5. What shocked me was that they did a Kane return vignette during RAW. That made me automatically think Kane's return was coming soon but not that night! Good trick the WWE did. They should have John L. say that Brodius Clay is coming in two weeks and then he shows up during THAT RAW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea for Brodus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Tony: Your countdown clock is mocking me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They can have John L. come out and say, "No Brodius...I said two weeks!" And Brodius can say, "NO! I'm done waiting. No more waiting. I'm not gonna wait anymore because I'm done waiting." And then the IWC makes fun of Brodius Clay for his oddly worded quote.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. Because you get to go! lol

    2. Maybe, Brodus can be John L's protege and come out to The Touch?

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. Yeah that's true...but it should be a fun RAW to watch on TV.

    2. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this is among the most significant information for me.
    And i'm glad reading your article. But want to remark on some general things,
    The website style is wonderful, the articles is really great : D.
    Good job, cheers

    Also visit my web-site ... nursing assistant classes in ct

    ReplyDelete