Friday, September 16, 2011

How I Would Book It- WWE Night of Champions 2011



I promised I would do at least one “How I Would Book It” column each month so this month I am booking WWE Night of Champions which is this Sunday. Fun fact: I attended last year’s Night of Champions in Chicago. I think booking Pay-Per-Views is a cheap way to meet my once-a-month quota but this will have to do. Maybe next month or later this month, I’ll book a current or potential feud. As of right now, there are seven matches on the Night of Champions match card and I do not expect any more matches to be added. I will preview each match in the order I think they will happen during the PPV, I will give my predictions, and I will describe how I would book each match. 



Cody Rhodes (c) vs. Ted DiBiase (WWE Intercontinental Championship Match)

Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase used to be tag team partners for over a year so this is an interesting match-up. These two were involved in a triple threat match at WrestleMania 26 but I’m 99% sure this is the first time they will face each other in a singles match on PPV.

Prediction: It’s too early for Cody to lose the IC title so Cody Rhodes wins.

How I Would Book It: I think Ted DiBiase has great potential so I would have DiBiase cleanly win and become the new Intercontinental Champion. DiBiase would be a great face in the WWE in my opinion.  


Dolph Ziggler (c) vs. John Morrison vs. Alex Riley vs. Jack Swagger (Fatal Four-Way Match For The United States Championship)

Ziggler vs. Swagger would have been a more interesting match because those two are feuding with each other but the WWE doesn’t want a heel vs. heel match so they added two faces to the match. Alex Riley doesn’t deserve to be in a PPV match. I can’t believe the WWE can find a way to get Alex Riley on the card but they couldn’t get Christian in a match. Christian was the World Heavyweight Champion going into SummerSlam last month and he’s not on the card for this PPV but Alex Riley is. Unbelievable.

Prediction: Wow this is a tough one. I don’t think Morrison or Riley will win. Dolph might retain his title but there were four title changes at Night of Champions 2010 so I expect a few title changes at this PPV. This title will probably be one of the titles changing hands so I’m picking Jack Swagger to get the win.

How I Would Book It: If I was booking this match, I would have Vickie Guerrero interfere in this match and help Jack Swagger get the win.


Kelly Kelly (c) vs. Beth Phoenix (WWE Divas Championship)


One of the bad things about the WWE Night of Champions PPV is that it is the one PPV of the year in which it is guaranteed there will be a divas match. This will be the third consecutive PPV to feature a divas match.

Prediction: Kelly Kelly defeated Beth Phoenix won last month but I’m confident that Beth Phoenix will win this match.

How I Would Book It: This may not happen but I would love to see Eve try to console Kelly Kelly after Kelly Kelly loses to Beth Phoenix and then Kelly Kelly starts beating up Eve. I want to see Kelly Kelly turn heel.  


Randy Orton (c) vs. Mark Henry (WWE World Heavyweight Championship Match)
I’m glad Mark Henry is finally competing for the World Heavyweight Championship. I discussed a possible Orton vs. Henry World Heavyweight Championship feud in May and it is nice to see it become a reality. 

Prediction: I think Randy Orton will win. I just hope Orton does not make Mark Henry look weak.

How I Would Book It: Orton wins the match but it takes Orton several attempts to hit the RKO on Mark Henry. When Orton finally does hit the RKO, Mark Henry kicks out. Orton wins after the second RKO. I do think Orton should win but I would like Mark Henry to look strong in this match. I like Mark Henry but he should not win this match. I don’t think he would be a good World Heavyweight Champion and I don’t believe in giving a World Title to Superstars who have gone 15 years without winning a World Title. I would have given Mark Henry the title if he was about five years younger but it doesn’t seem right to give Mark Henry the championship so late in his career unless he gets a cheap win. 


 Kofi Kingston and Evan Bourne (c) vs. The Miz and R-Truth (WWE Tag Team Title Match)

This looks like a really good match-up. It could be the best tag team match of the year although that isn’t saying much. Kingston and Bourne are a great team and they would look good against The Miz and R-Truth.

Prediction: I can’t imagine Kingston and Bourne aka Air Boom losing the titles already so I’m predicting Air Boom to retain.

How I Would Book It: I would book Air Boom to win but have The Miz and R-Truth beat up Air Boom after the match so the feud can continue. I would love to see The Miz and R-Truth as a team after Night of Champions but my fear is that they are a team only so they could get a match at Night of Champions.


Alberto Del Rio (c) vs. John Cena (WWE Championship Match)

This is one of the least anticipated WWE Championship matches of the year. This Cena-Del Rio feud has been boring so far. I doubt this will be the main event and if it is not the main event, it will be the first WWE Championship PPV match that was not the main event since Elimination Chamber early this year.  

Prediction: I think Alberto Del Rio will retain his championship.

How I Would Book It: I would love to see Alberto Del Rio make Cena tap out to the cross armbreaker. I doubt that would actually happen but I think Del Rio will win and that would be an awesome way for Del Rio to win.


CM Punk vs. Triple H (No DQ Match, If Triple H Loses, He Must Resign as WWE COO)

This should be the main event. For the second year in a row, there is a WrestleMania-like match taking place at Night of Champions. Last year it was Kane vs. Undertaker and this year it is CM Punk vs. Triple H. This might end up being the feud of the year and it’s great that Triple H is in a match again. I wish Triple H would have some matches on RAW.

Prediction: Triple H wins with help from Kevin Nash.

How I Would Book It: I think the outcome of this match is obvious and I don’t think it should be booked any other way. I expect the “fired” Kevin Nash to return and help Triple H. I will explain how the match would end if I was booking this match. CM Punk is dominating Triple H and is getting ready to set-up his Go to Sleep finishing move. Then Kevin Nash comes out of nowhere and hits CM Punk with the Jackknife Powerbomb. Nash leaves the ring to get a chair. Meanwhile, Triple H is on the mat recovering from the beating he took from CM Punk. Nash enters the ring with the chair and walks towards Triple H. Nash teases hitting Triple H with the chair but instead he drops the chair and helps Triple H up. Triple H picks up CM Punk and Pedigrees him onto the chair. Triple H gets the win. After the match, Triple H and Nash hug each other and the PPV ends.

I’m predicting no title changes involving the World Titles and I’m confident that I will be right. Mark Henry probably would have already won the World Heavyweight Championship by now if he was ever meant to be World Heavyweight Champion and I think Alberto Del Rio's title reign will last longer than one month. I hope you have enjoyed reading how I would book Night of Champions.






5 comments:

  1. Very creative post Tony, nice work!

    I think WWE need to have one face and one heel as mid card champions. I think it works better that way. This way, both champs could have a match.

    Kelly heel turn, hmm, I don't think she is heel material, could be wrong.

    I think Henry has potential if he had 2 or 3 feuds as world champion despite his age. As long as he wouldn't be wrestling every single Smackdown, I think it would work.

    Air Boom to win is pretty much same prediction I have, or what I want to happen anyway.

    If Del Rio could make Cena tap out, it would make Del Rio look like a true champion. When was the last time Cena tapped out? Must of been against Angle back in 02??

    Really not sure about Punk/HHH. I have not been reading anything on this match, I just wanna see what happens as I watch it.

    This is Ray BTW, and nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading Ray.

    1. I agree that there should be one face champ and one heel champ. Right now there are two heel champs, but if Jack Swagger wins, I think he'll become a face.

    2. I want to see Kelly Kelly would look like as a heel. It probably won't happen.

    3. I like Mark Henry because he was in the WWE when I was watching the WWF in 1999. Mark Henry COULD become champion but I'm not sure if I want to see it. To me, it's hard to erase 15 years of bad memories. He's been great during the last few months but almost all of his career has been bad.

    4. I like Air Boom. Being in a tag team is the best situation for Evan Bourne. He is not a good singles star but he looks amazing as one-half of a tag team.

    5. I think it would be cool if Del Rio made Cena tap out. Cena is human just like everyone else so why can't guys like Cena tap out? Del Rio's submission is a move that could break someone's arm so you would be stupid not to tap out.

    6. I think the CM Punk match is very predictable but usually the predictable thing doesn't happen so I'm eager to find out what happens. I just really want Triple H to be heel again and I DON'T want Punk to go back to being a heel. I don't care if Punk wins or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tag team and 4-way photos look like class pictures or something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Capt. Smooth

    I like Mark Henry's photo the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the contrast between the two.

    ReplyDelete