Thursday, September 22, 2011

Five WWE Superstars Who I Want to Get a Push

One of the biggest complaints of the WWE is that they don't push their mid-card division enough. I agree with that complaint. There are a lot of talented young Superstars in the WWE and there aren't getting pushed. A lot of them are rarely on TV. The WWE needs to push their younger stars. If they don't, then fans will continue to want WWE Legends like Chris Jericho, Mick Foley, Stone Cold, Shawn Michaels, and The Rock to make more WWE appearances and they will continue to beg that old veterans like Undertaker, Kane, Triple H, Rey Mysterio, and Christian don't retire. The two current World Champions in the WWE, John Cena and Mark Henry, are a combined age of 74. That's an average age of 37 which is too old. The veterans will have to retire eventually so the WWE needs to build for the future. In this column, I will list the top five WWE Superstars who I want the WWE to give a push within the next 12 months.

First of all before I go any further, I need to give my definition of a "push". Wikipedia says that a push is "an attempt by the booker to make the wrestler win more matches and become more popular or more reviled with the fans depending on whether they are a heel or a face." I think that there are other ways to get a push without winning more matches. In my opinion, getting a push in the WWE also means getting a bigger role on TV, being used more, and being booked in a way that draws more interest from WWE fans whether it be positive or negative. This can be done by winning more matches but also by having the Superstar do more backstage segments and do more in-ring promos. A push doesn't always have to end with the Superstar being in the WWE Championship picture. That's known as a Main Event push. I'm just looking at regular pushes. Would I like to see Kofi Kingston or Dolph Ziggler get an opportunity at the WWE Championship? Sure but right now they are getting a push. Kingston is a Tag Team Champion and Ziggler is the United States Champion. I am only focusing on those who aren't getting pushed at all. What are a couple recent examples of a regular push? Evan Bourne and Zack Ryder. Bourne recently got his first WWE championship when he won the Tag Team Championship with Kofi Kingston. Now that he's a tag team champion, Bourne is winning more and he is getting used every week. That's a push. As for Zack Ryder, not too long ago, he was rarely used on TV but now he is on Smackdown every week and he is getting occasional matches on RAW. Ryder is an example of a push that doesn't involve winning a championship or winning every week. Just the fact Ryder is on TV more is a push. I think some WWE fans would like to see Ryder get an even bigger push but I think his current role in the WWE is perfect for him. In the future, I might want to see him win a WWE championship but right now I'm happy where he is at.

Before I present my list of the five superstars I want to get a push, here are the honorable mentions who did not make the list.


Tyson Kidd

I try to watch Tyson Kidd's matches whenever they are on TV and he is a really good in-ring performer. If the WWE does try to bring back the Tag Team Division, I think Kidd should part of a Tag Team again like he was when he was with the Hart Dynasty. Kidd is not one of my favorite young Superstars hence why he didn't make my main top five list but I do think he should have matches on TV more often and get more chances to work on mic skills.


John Morrison

Not too long ago, there was a time when John Morrison wouldn't even be considered for this list. He was winning most of his matches and was even in a match at WrestleMania 27. Now, John Morrison is still being used every week but he has been losing a lot. I'm not much of a Morrison fan but he's got great in-ring talent. Morrison does stuff in the ring that I didn't know was possible. I don't know what is holding him back. His mic skills are not as strong as I would like them to be but his mic skills are okay. John Morrison did get a Pay-Per-View match at Night of Champions this month which is an event that did not have former World Heavyweight Champion Christian or Mr. Money in the Bank Daniel Bryan on the card. Morrison has no problem getting matches but he keeps losing. I would like to see him win more and win the U.S. Championship soon.


Daniel Bryan

Daniel Bryan shouldn't be anywhere near this column. He won the Money in the Bank briefcase just last July. If that isn't mean he is getting a push, then what does? However since Daniel Bryan has won the briefcase, he has been poorly booked. He is suffering from the same problem Morrison is suffering from but it's worse for Daniel Bryan. The WWE should be making Daniel Bryan look strong so he looks like a credible champion when he cashes in his briefcase and, hopefully, becomes World Champion. Instead, the WWE are making him look weak by having him lose all of his matches. Daniel Bryan is my favorite Smackdown Superstar. I'm not usually a fan of technical wrestling but Daniel Bryan's matches are fun to watch. Also, Daniel Bryan's promos are getting better. He has the potential to be a big star in the WWE so I hope the WWE can start making him look better.


Jack Swagger

I feel bad for Jack Swagger. He has a lot of talent in the ring and surprisingly on the mic too and yet he is booked like a jobber. I often forget that he is a former World Heavyweight Champion which is unfortunate because I actually thought that Swagger looked like a credible World Heavyweight Champion. It's time that the WWE turn him face and start having him win matches. Swagger has a nice Ankle Lock submission but his success rate with that submission will improve only if he is a face.

Those were the honorable mentions and here are my top five in no particular order:


1. Drew McIntyre

Drew McIntyre is currently a member of the RAW roster but if you are a casual WWE fan, you would think he's still on Smackdown because Drew is rarely on TV. I don't know why Drew has been cut out of WWE storylines completely. The last time Drew was regularly on TV, he was in a storyline in which he was trying to make Kelly Kelly his girlfriend and I can't remember how or if that storyline ended. Drew used to be called "The Chosen One". He is a former Intercontinental and Tag Team Champion. In Drew's first year in the WWE, he had an undefeated streak that lasted for several months. Now, Zack fucking Ryder is getting on TV more than Drew McIntyre. What happened? In my opinion, Drew is a talented in-ring wrestler and he is just as good on the mic. It bothers me that Drew is not on TV more. When Drew was regularly on Smackdown, he was very fun to watch. I kinda hope the WWE would just release him so he can become a star at TNA but I would rather see him become a star in the WWE. 


2. Trent Barreta

Trent Barreta is on TV less than Drew McIntyre is. I honestly do not know if he is a RAW Superstar or a Smackdown Superstar because the only show he appears on is WWE Superstars. On March 28, RAW was in Chicago. I was at that RAW and before RAW, the WWE taped some WWE Superstars matches. One of those matches was Trent Baretta vs. Curt Hawkins


I was amazed by some of the stuff Baretta was doing in that match. Baretta is an amazing in-ring performer. If the WWE were to put him and John Morrison in a tag team, they would be very fun to watch. The WWE needs to get him some matches on RAW or Smackdown as soon as possible.



3. Michael McGillicutty

Michael McGillicutty, also known as the son of WWE Hall of Famer Mr. Perfect, was on season two of WWE NXT. That was when NXT was still on TV so I watched every episode of that season. McGillicutty ended up being the runner-up and he was very impressive. I'll admit that his promo skills were sometimes awful but he looked really good in the ring. McGillicutty has the best swinging neck breaker I have ever seen. Right now, McGillicutty is not getting many matches on TV as a singles competitor. Hopefully that can change soon because he looked impressive in NXT. 


4. David Otunga

I'm a David Otunga fan believe it or not. Otunga was in the first season on NXT and like McGillicutty, Otunga finished in 2nd place. Otunga's in-ring skills aren't really that great but I love Otunga's promo skills. Otunga had an opportunity to show his promo skills when he was a guest host of RAW while he was still a NXT rookie. On the next episode of RAW, Otunga was on RAW again and got to do a funny backstage segment with David Hasselhoff. David Otunga should just retire from in-ring competition and become a manager or a commentator. The WWE needs to give him some promo time because Otunga is really talented on the mic. He's reminds me of The Miz.


5. Ted DiBiase 

I have always liked Ted DiBiase and based on what happened last week when he attacked Cody Rhodes on Smackdown, he might finally get a strong push soon. Like Michael McGillicutty, DiBiase is the son of a WWE Hall of Famer. Ted's dad is the Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase Sr. I had a chance to meet the Million Dollar Man last year and I told him that his son was doing a good job. And then the Million Dollar Man laughed at me and said, "That's a funny joke." Just kidding...I made that last part up but I really did meet him and I really did tell him that his son was doing good (DiBiase Sr thanked me for saying that). And then our conversation was interrupted by Jonny Fairplay who is a former Survivor contestant and recently separated from his wife WWE Tough Enough 2011 contestant Michelle Deighton. I did not make that part up. Back to Ted DiBiase Jr, I think he is talented in the ring and he has good mic skills too. I really hope he wins the Intercontinental Championship soon. I am looking forward to his feud with Cody Rhodes. 

Those are the five WWE Superstars I want to get a push and I hope all of them get a push very soon.

23 comments:

  1. Nice read.

    I'm not sure on Michael Mcgillicutty. I think he's only their 'cause of his wrestling family connection. Nothing personnel against him, just don't see him as having 'it' to be a top star. I find him dull on the MIC.

    The rest I agree with. I think if WWE are patient with Drew, he could be a big star. He was better off on SD, why he was moved, I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't want to see Michael McGillicutty as a top star right now either but only seeing him in occasional tag team matches is not giving me a better understanding about him so I would like to see him be used more.

    As for Drew, yeah moving from Smackdown to RAW is what really hurt his career. I agree about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I said, nothing against Michael, perhaps if WWE used him better, i'd like him more.

    I don't know why Drew even went to RAW in the first place, nothing going for him there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Rambling Ray

    Awhile ago, I wrote a "How I Would Book It" for the WWE Draft and I had Drew going to RAW. I wrote it when John Canton was hiring new writers in April and that was my application to him.

    This is what I wrote:

    "I would be very interested to see what Drew McIntyre could do on Raw. He has been a Smackdown Superstar his entire WWE career so far so I think a change of scenery could give him a boost in his career. I like McIntyre’s aggressive style of wrestling. I think he could be a very nice addition to The New Nexus. McIntyre does not have a proven track record that suggests he would be very successful on Raw but neither did The Miz. McIntyre was impressive in the beginning of his stint on Smackdown so I would definitely take a risk moving McIntyre to Raw."

    http://howiwouldbookit.blogspot.com/2011/04/how-i-would-book-it-2011-wwe-draft.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely agree with your honorable mentions.

    Your list is so so to me, I don't want to see anytime of push for Otunga and McGillicutty, they really are boring. No interest in either of them at all.

    I'm with you on Drew McIntyre. Like I've said before, I'm a big McIntyre fan. I have no idea why's he's not even used, seriously, it baffles me (yeah I said baffles me) on how someone as talented as Drew McIntyre can be overlooked so much.

    And I like your idea of putting Baretta with Morrison. WWE seems to not want to give Morrison anytime of a singles push anymore (and that makes about as much sense as booking the Muppets on Raw over McIntyre), so if Baretta tweeks his look a bit, him and Morrison could make a good team, if WWE would allow them to show their skill.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Shaman's Harvest

    I think Otunga and McGillicutty should get a push. They don't need to win the WWE Championship but at least give McGillicutty some regular singles matches and give Otunga some more promo time. If they keep doing boring tag team stuff with King Lawler saying bad stuff about them, of course people will think they are boring. Let them do what they are good at. There's a reason both of them came close to winning NXT.

    I don't know why Baretta isn't on TV more. He needs to start a YouTube show where he's doing dangerous stunts-

    Episode one: Watch me (Trent Baretta) do a front flip off a car and onto an old lady who has no idea I'm on her car.

    Episode two: Watch me (Trent Baretta) do a suicide dive into the passenger window of a moving car.

    Episode three: Watch me (Trent Baretta) explain why all of my stunts so far involve cars.

    It will be a lot more entertaining than Brozo The Clown's YouTube show.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Drew: He needs something of a push, but they need to allow him to speak with some fire. He's a bit too low-key on the mic and that won't get him over.

    Baretta: Totally agree! He's young, so there nay be a chance in the future.

    Perfect Jr.: I agree about him as well. We haven't seen a good sample of his personality.

    Otunga: Not very good in the ring, but good on the mic. I wouldn't mind him becoming a hype man for a wrestler.

    Ted Jr.: He can go in the ring. Has the look. They needed to turn him face against Orton a couplr years ago when they had the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Otunga: I like the hype man idea! Imagine if Otunga was a hype man for someone like Jack Swagger: "Have you seen my man Jack Swagger? Just look at him...nice size and a good body. Swagger is 6 foot 6 inches and he's 263 pounds. He's a beast! Did you know he wrestled in college and was on the Oklahoma University football team? That's what I'm talkin' about! And have you seen Swagger's ankle lock? Oooh...that move is crazy yo. That shit is gonna break some fool's ankle some day. Man I sure wouldn't want to face him. You better watch out for Jack because I guarantee you he'll be the WWE Champion soon...for real."

    Ted Jr.: I agree he has a good look [ll] PAUSE.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tony, actually your fake Otunga promo needs a *pause* more than your Ted Jr. line. lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. By the sounds of that promo, Otunga must have ended it by firmly slapping “his man's" ass.

    In memory of JCITY, PAUSE [||]

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Shaman's Harvest

    For some reason your comment was marked as spam. I had to save it from the spam folder.

    @ Capt. Smooth

    Lol I think you're right just because of the "nice body...good size" part.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Tony: Being a perv, it's what I do. And I'm the best at what I do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very interesting and informative blog and about the wrestlers I must appreciate your work well done keep it up.
    wrestlers who have aged

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your blog have a very interesting detail and content about the music and songs which i really like and appreciate it.
    regueton

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so amazing information about the wwe wrestling and all your information are very interesting.
    Shocking WWE Royal Rumble 2018 Returns

    ReplyDelete
  16. I visited your blog for the first time and just been your fan and get many informative information about the WWE Moves Banned and I Will be back often to check up on new stuff you post well done.
    WWE Moves Banned For Being Way Too Dangerous

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's really so amazing blog have a informative detail about the wwe wrestling well done.
    wrestlemania 34

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's really so amazing and informative detail about the wwe wrestling keep it up guys.
    When will the WWE Finish

    ReplyDelete
  19. A very helpful and interesting info that i got from your blog about the wrestling history keep it up guys.
    Strangest unlockables in a Video game

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes, I am entirely agreed with this article, and I just want say that this article is very helpful and enlightening. I also have some precious piece of concerned info !!!!!!Thanks. Avenue South Residence Central Business District

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes, I am entirely agreed with this article, and I just want say that this article is very helpful and enlightening. I also have some precious piece of concerned info !!!!!!Thanks. Haiyi Holdings Real Estate Developer

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow...all look so strong and masculine. Same with what we have in Avenue South Residence. 56 storey tall..<a href="https://theavenue-souths-residences.com”>Avenue South Residences</a>

    ReplyDelete