Tuesday, June 28, 2011

RAW Comments (06/27/2011)


WWE Monday Night RAW was live from the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, Nevada this week. Here are my RAW comments.


The appearance by Shawn Michaels felt brief. If I was in Las Vegas, I would have been a little bit disappointed. It was nice to see him but it felt like the show would have been just fine without him. The WWE could have at least made him a special guest referee for one of the matches. When the WWE had Stone Cold on the show, they found a good role for him. The WWE did not do the same with Shawn Michaels. I did like his interaction with CM Punk but what Michaels said will be forgotten in three weeks.

I enjoyed the Sin Cara vs. Evan Bourne match. I was afraid that it wouldn’t live up to the hype but it was a very entertaining match. There were a lot of cool spots by both Superstars. It was short but I loved the fact that there was no commercial interruption. I would rather see the match uncut than seeing an extra three or four minutes of action. It was really good for a match on free TV. If they gave it more time and put it on a PPV, it could easily steal the show. Some people may say that the match was too short to be considered a great match, but I personally think it is easily one of the best matches on RAW this year. I don’t care about how much time a match gets. If the match was enjoyable and fun to watch then I consider it a good match. I often have trouble watching a whole match without getting bored and that didn’t happen during the Sin Cara vs. Evan Bourne match so they did a really good job.

The RAW Money in the Bank match participants were revealed. The participants are: Evan Bourne, Rey Mysterio, R-Truth, Alex Riley, The Miz, Kofi Kingston, Jack Swagger, and Alberto Del Rio. It sucks that John Morrison won’t be ready in time for the Money in the Bank Pay Per View. If he was healthy, there’s no doubt he would be in the MITB match. I was wondering why Sin Cara wasn’t in the match and then I remembered that he’s a Smackdown Superstar. The WWE really needs to start honoring the brands and not allow Smackdown Superstars to appear on RAW so often. I’m really surprised that Dolph Ziggler is not in the match. He is someone who some fans were considering a favorite to win the match and he’s not even in the match. As for those who are in the match, I think the WWE picked a good group. The only Superstar I’m worried about is Alex Riley. It kind of makes sense why he is in the match now but just last month, it would have been very confusing to see him in this match. I’m looking forward to seeing how Riley does in the match but I’m pretty sure he would have been the odd man out if Morrison was healthy. One last thing….R-Truth is in the match! Holy Shit! Does this mean R-Truth is finally coming to Chicago? I’ll believe it when I see it. The only time I saw R-Truth in Chicago was when an image of him was on one of the WWE trucks in the Allstate Arena parking lot.

Mark Henry attacked Big Show again. It is so obvious these two are gonna have a match at MITB and it could be the worst match of the year. I do have to admit that Mark Henry has been somewhat entertaining lately. I like how he goes on a rant every time he attacks someone. The Big Show and Mark Henry storyline is actually decent but I know the match will probably be awful. I just hope the match isn’t a standard singles match. If the match is a Street Fight or a Tables Match, I think the match could be a somewhat interesting PPV match. If the match is bad, the good thing is that the PPV is in Chicago and the crowd reaction during the match might be entertaining.

I was happy to see Drew McIntyre on RAW more than Dallas Diamond Page. I was just thinking about how McIntyre hasn't been shown on RAW a lot lately. Zack Ryder has gotten more TV time on RAW than McIntyre! I hope the WWE starts showing McIntyre a lot more.

I loved the Alex Riley and Rey Mysterio vs. Jack Swagger and The Miz tornado tag match on RAW last night. The match was made as a preview of what to expect at the RAW MITB match because all four of the participants in the tornado tag match will also be in the MITB match. All of them did a really good job in the match including Alex Riley. It was probably the best tag match I’ve seen all year in the WWE. After seeing that match, I am now a lot more interested in the RAW MITB match. John Cena vs. CM Punk will be the most anticipated match but the RAW MITB match could have the best in-ring action at the MITB PPV.

CM Punk delivered the one of the greatest promos of the year on RAW last night. Actually it might be the best Promo of the Year…the only promo I can think of that I might have enjoyed more was the promo from The Rock when he made his WWE return which isn’t a big surprise because EVERY promo The Rock delivers is a candidate for Promo of the Year (in my opinion). I can’t even put into words how great CM Punk’s promo was. All I can say was that I was hanging on every word and I kept checking the time because it was past the time RAW is supposed to end. Just when I thought RAW was going to have a mediocre ending and do little to advance the Punk-Cena storyline, Punk delivers a promo that made the Money in the Bank PPV a must-see event. Finally…a main event PPV feud that people actually want to see. I enjoyed John Cena’s feuds with R-Truth and The Miz but THIS feud is a great feud and it will be a match no one is going to want to miss. The last time I was this excited about a match was probably when Triple H and Randy Orton were feuding before Wrestlemania 25. The Undertaker vs. Kane feud last year was also really good but not as good as the Punk-Cena feud. By the way, that is how you end an episode of Monday Night RAW. Finally, an ending to RAW that leaves me thinking, "What just happened?" and makes me want to see what happens next. Every RAW ending should be like that.

Like I said, I can’t describe how great the promo was so I am going to show the video and include the transcript of the promo.




John Cena while you...you lay there, hopefully as uncomfortable as you possibly can be, I want you to listen to me.

I want you to digest this because before I leave in 3 weeks with your WWE Championship, I have a lot of things I want to get off my chest.

I don’t hate you, John. I don’t even dislike you. I do like you. I like you a hell of a lot more than I like most people in the back.

I hate this idea that you’re the best. Because you’re not. I’m the best. I’m the best in the world. There’s one thing you’re better at than I am and that’s kissing Vince McMahon’s ass.

You’re as good as kissing Vince's ass as Hulk Hogan was. I don’t know if you’re as good as Dwayne though. He’s a pretty good ass kisser. Always was and still is.

Oops! I’m breaking the fourth wall! 

I am the best wrestler in the world.

I’ve been the best ever since day one when I walked into this company. And I’ve been vilified and hated since that day because Paul Heyman saw something in me that nobody else wanted to admit. That’s right, I’m a Paul Heyman guy. You know who else was a Paul Heyman guy? Brock Lesnar. And he split just like I’m splitting but the biggest difference between me and Brock is I’m going to leave with the WWE Championship.

I’ve grabbed so many of Vincent K. McMahon’s imaginary brass rings that it’s finally dawned on me that there just that, they’re completely imaginary. The only thing that’s real is me and the fact that day in and day out, for almost six years, I have proved to everybody in the world that I am the best ON THIS MICROPHONE, IN THAT RING, EVEN AT COMMENTARY! NOBODY CAN TOUCH ME!

And yet no how many...no matter how many times I prove it, I’m not on your lovely little collector cups. I’m not on the cover of the program. I’m barely promoted. I don't get to be in movies. I’m certainly not on any crappy show on the USA Network. I’m not on the poster of WrestleMania. I’m not in the signature that’s produced at the start of the show. 

I’m not on Conan O’Brien. I’m not on Jimmy Fallon. But the fact of the matter is, I should be and trust me, this isn’t sour grapes but the FACT THAT DWAYNE IS IN THE MAIN EVENT AT WRESTLEMANIA NEXT YEAR AND I'M NOT MAKES ME SICK!

Oh and hey, let me get something straight. Those of you who are cheering me right now, you are just as big a part of me leaving as anything else. Because you’re the ones who are sipping on those collector cups right now. You’re the ones that buy those programs that my face isn’t on the cover of. And then at five in the morning at the airport, you try to shove it in my face so you can get an autograph and try to sell it on eBay because you’re too lazy to go get a real job.

I’m leaving with the WWE Championship on July 17th. And hell, who knows, maybe I’ll go defend it in New Japan Pro Wrestling. Maybe I’ll go back to Ring of Honor.

Hey Colt Cabana, how you doing?

The reason I’m leaving is you people. Because after I’m gone, you’re still going to pour money into this company. I’m just a spoke on the wheel. The wheel is going to keep turning and I understand that. Vince McMahon is going to make money despite himself. He’s a millionaire who should be a billionaire. You know why he’s not a billionaire? Because he surrounds himself with glad-handing, nonsensical, douchebag yes men, like John Laurinaitis, who’s going to tell him everything he wants to hear, and I’d like to think that maybe this company will better after Vince McMahon is dead. But the fact is, it’s going to be taken over by his idiotic daughter and his doofus son-in-law and the rest of his stupid family.

Let me tell you a personal story about Vince McMahon alright. We do this whole bully campaign…

I’m not going to discuss what I want to see on RAW next week because it already happened and the spoilers are already available. I will not comment on the spoilers at all until the episode airs on July 4th. I did already read the spoilers. Even though RAW is scripted, I do view it as if it is real so if RAW already happened, I want to know what happened. If my favorite sports team had a game but the game was not shown on TV as in happened, I would not pretend that the game never happened and just wait for it to be shown on TV. I would still look up the score before watching the game on TV. To me…that is not a spoiler. A spoiler to me is something that hasn’t happened yet. Next week’s RAW happened already…it just hasn’t been shown on TV yet. Like I said, I won’t mention any of the spoilers but I had to read them. I read Smackdown spoilers too and I really feel Smackdown should be on live TV just like RAW. I’m not going to blame people for “spoiling” Smackdown because I want to know what happened. However, I enjoy watching it happen on TV more than reading about it on the internet.  That’s all I got to say about spoilers. Knowing what happened won’t make the RAW broadcast next week any less enjoyable for me because the spoilers are not always 100% accurate and I will probably see something next week that wasn’t mentioned in the spoilers.  

3 comments:

  1. CM Punk's promo is the promo of the CENTURY. The Rock's promo was filled of lies, false promises and recycled catchphrases. CM Punk just jumped a few notches on my greatest of all time list. I'm glad to have witnessed history in the making.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah in hindsight, it is easy to find problems with that promo by The Rock, but at the time, it was the first time in awhile I was actually really excited about the WWE and I didn't even see that promo live! I had to listen to it on the radio on the way to work (yes Chicago loves the WWE so much that their all-sports radio channels treat incidents like The Rock returning to the WWE as huge breaking news. The radio guy actually said, "We are going to go live to Anaheim right now because The Rock has just returned to the WWE").

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete