Saturday, May 7, 2011

How I Would Book It- Chris Jericho’s WWE Return

Where has all of the old school Superstars gone in the WWE? The last survivors of the Attitude Era are becoming extinct. Triple H rarely appears on TV anymore. The Undertaker is always away with injuries that magically heal right in time for Wrestlemania or Summerslam. Shawn Michaels is retired after a long career. Edge is retired due to his neck injuries. Goldust is out with an injury and may never come back. I watched a lot of WWE as a kid from 1999 to 2001 and there are not many Superstars left from my childhood. Only a handful remains: Mark Henry, Christian, William Regal, Big Show, and Kane. Does R-Truth count? I never saw "R-Truth" as a kid but I do remember "K-Kwik". Sure The Rock has come back but unfortunately, The Great One is appearing on RAW only once a month. The good news is that one of the greatest WWE Superstars of all-time could return soon. He is a Superstar who I like more now than I did 12 years ago when he first debuted in the WWE. The man I am referring to is the best in the world at what he does….Chris Jericho.

Chris Jericho has been gone from the WWE since September 2010, but Jericho recently admitted he will return to the WWE at some point:

"When I come back to WWE when [Dancing with the Stars] is done, we can continue right where we picked off. You can boo and cheer and yell."

The last time the WWE Universe saw Chris Jericho was on September 27, 2010. Jericho was shown on RAW being carted away from the ring on a stretcher after getting punted in the head by Randy Orton. Since then, he has done concerts with his band Fozzy and participated in Dancing with the Stars. Although Jericho has now been eliminated from DWTS, I'm sure the show will prevent him from doing anything until the show's season finale which occurs on May 24. When Jericho does return to the WWE, it will be his third stint with the company. The start of his first two stints were both creatively booked. For his WWE debut in 1999, the WWE had a "Countdown to the Millennium" clock that they would show during commercial breaks on RAW. The clock expired on August 9, 1999 during RAW in Chicago and Jericho made his debut. Jericho later made his return to the WWE after being gone for more than two years on November 19, 2007. The WWE teased his return using a series of 15-second cryptic binary code videos that first started appearing on RAW on September 24, 2007. Both of those debuts were unique and creative but the problem was that both times fans were able to predict Jericho's arrival. When Jericho debuted in 1999, there were so many signs for Jericho in the crowd that Jericho later said that it was like Vince McMahon personally gave out invitations to the crowd for Jericho's welcoming party. When Jericho returned in 2007, fans were able to figure out on the internet that the binary code videos were meant for Jericho. This time it needs to be different. Screw the teaser videos. With the internet these days, fans are able to predict who the videos are meant for. Many people knew that the 2-21-11 videos were meant for the Undertaker. I would love to see Jericho have another epic return but I would rather see his return be unpredictable.


Before I reveal how I would book Jericho's return, I will say that this was not easy. I had several ideas for Jericho's return and I realized none of them would work. First I thought Jericho should return as a participant in the RAW Money in the Bank match at the Money in the Bank pay-per-view. This year's event is in Chicago. Jericho made his WWE debut in Chicago….Jericho's last main match was the Night of Champions Six Pack Challenge in Chicago….Chicago, my hometown, is where Jericho needs to make his triumphant return! But as great as that sounded, I remembered that Jericho's last two debuts were on RAW aka free TV. Jericho needs to return on RAW. His return needs to be seen by as many people as possible and I'm sure more people watch RAW than the PPVs. Another problem with having Jericho on the Money in the Bank pay-per-view is the way he would be put in the money in the bank match. Do you make him the mystery final participant? Do you make him an emergency replacement? Both scenarios might give the fans enough time to figure out it is Jericho. His return needs to be unpredictable so that will not work. Then I thought maybe Jericho should be revealed as the mystery RAW general manager. Everyone's wondering who the GM is….wouldn't it be awesome if it was Jericho this whole time? But that wouldn't work either. Jericho has feuded with the GM in the past and at one point the GM removed Jericho from the Six Pack Challenge match for Night of Champions and put him back in the match only under the condition that he defeat the Hart Dynasty in a handicap cage match while wearing dress clothes. I have a hard time believing Jericho would put himself through all that if he was the GM so I had to reject that idea. After that, I got another great idea. How about Dolph Ziggler facing a local jobber on RAW but he is a MASKED local jobber? The local jobber hits Ziggler with the Codebreaker, gets the win, and unmasks to reveal he is Jericho! What a great idea! That's the idea I would book! But again….it won't work. A local jobber wearing a mask? Since when do they wear masks? That right there will get people suspicious. And would people be able to recognize Jericho's wrestling style? It would be too risky. Finally I came up with the best idea.....or what I thought was the best idea. I would have RAW announce Undertaker's return and on the night of Taker's return, Undertaker's music will hit but the Undertaker will not come out. Then the GM will send an email saying Undertaker could not make it but someone else is at RAW instead. Jericho's music hits immediately and out comes Jericho. That's unpredictable! But again…..it will not work. You can't tease the return of the Undertaker and not deliver. All of those fans will be expecting the Undertaker and they will be pissed when Undertaker does not show up. Jericho might actually get booed! Jericho cannot be booed. He needs to return as a face. After appearing as a face on Dancing with the Stars, The Tonight Show, That Metal Show, Jimmy Kimmel Live, The Ellen DeGeneres Show, and most recently G4's Attack of the Show where he appears as Thor, I cannot imagine seeing Jericho as a heel again. If he returns as a heel, does that mean he would be wearing the suit again? That's no longer original. It has been copied by Cody Rhodes, The Miz, and Alberto Del Rio. Jericho can think of a new heel gimmick but he should return as a face because of the nice guy attitude he has been showing during his recent TV appearances. So a situation that might result in him getting booed is not good and will not work.

After thinking about it for a long time, I finally decided the best way to book Jericho's return. I realized that Jericho needs to be feuding with someone when he returns so who should he feud with? Randy Orton is the one who put him out of action but Orton is on Smackdown now and he is a face. Jericho needs to feud with a heel on RAW. I determined The Miz would be a great opponent for Jericho. The Miz and Jericho had a twitter war in 2009 and Jericho even took a shot at The Miz in a WWE.com interview in March:

"I watched Raw on Monday and felt like I was having an out of body experience. I was watching myself on live TV! Then I realized I hadn't gotten that ugly and become that bad of a wrestler and realized I was actually watching the current WWE Champion, The Miz."

I think that is a feud the fans might want to see and it would make a great match for Summerslam which will take place well after Dancing with the Stars is over. The feud is in place….now it is time to book how Jericho actually returns. On July 18, 2011 on the RAW after Money in the Bank, we find out Alberto Del Rio will be the number one contender to challenge John Cena for the WWE Championship at Summerslam. The Miz comes out to the ring and says that just because he is not the number one contender does not mean he cannot have a main event match at Summerslam. The Miz says that he knows there are several Superstars in the locker room who would love the opportunity to face The Miz in a match. The Miz announces that he will be holding an auction for next week's RAW and the winning bid gets to face The Miz at Summerslam. It will be a first-price sealed-bid auction and The Miz will reveal the winner on RAW next week. Later that RAW, four WWE Superstars meet with The Miz backstage saying they are planning to make a bid next week. The four Superstars are Big Show, John Morrison, Rey Mysterio, and Zack Ryder. Big Show and Morrison point out that they are his former tag team partners and want to prove once and for all who the better partner was. Rey says that while he was on Smackdown, he noticed what The Miz was saying on RAW and wants the opportunity to shut The Miz up. Zack Ryder says that this is his opportunity to finally have a match on a major PPV event.


The next week at the start of RAW, The Miz enters the ring carrying an envelope. The Miz says that all of the bids are in and inside of the envelope is the amount of the winning bid but the winner will be announced via his entrance music. The Miz opens the envelope and reveals that the winner paid a large sum to face him. The Miz waits for the music and the music hits: "BREAK THE WALLS DOWN!" It is Chris Jericho! Jericho enters the ring and grabs the mic to explain why he entered the auction for a chance to face The Miz:

"I have been watching RAW and I have noticed you have been wearing a suit just like me. You are also very arrogant and egotistical just like me. I think you want to be the next Chris Jericho. The thing is that there is only one Chris Jericho and you will never…EEEEVVVVERRR…be as talented as me. You think you are the greatest superstar in the WWE right now? I don't think that is a statement you can make because you haven't faced me yet. You see that's why I entered a bid in your auction. I'm tired of you claiming to be the best. I'm ready to finally return to the ring and prove to you and everyone else that I am still the best in the world at what I do."

This return would hopefully be unpredicted because I think a lot of fans would just assume the winning bid would come from one of the four Superstars who mentioned they were interested in facing The Miz at Summerslam. I would love to see Chris Jericho and The Miz face each other in the ring. Go to YouTube and type in "Chris Jericho vs. The Miz". The results do not show any singles match between The Miz vs. Chris Jericho that happened on WWE TV. Jericho has always been a heel while The Miz has been on RAW so it is not surprising to find out these two have never faced each other in a singles match. I think these two would have great in-ring chemistry because they seem to know each other very well: The Miz went to a Dancing with the Stars taping not too long ago and a YouTube video showed Miz and Jericho hanging out together in Hollywood. I think it would be a great feud and a great way to bring Jericho back to the WWE. And that's how I would book Chris Jericho's return.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment